Spinach Salad with Kalamata Olives, Sun Dried Tomatoes, Marcona Almonds, and Burrata Cheese


For some, cleaning out the refrigerator can be a chore. I am not referring to actually cleaning the fridge with spray and a sponge; I mean, trying to figure out what to do with whatever is still lingering on the shelves and in the drawers.

For me, it is a culinary "mystery box"; as in, what can I put together to create a new and inspiring meal? As I have written about in other mystery box entries, I really like the "creativity cloud" that hovers over me when I am forced to make something yummy out of what is leftover in my fridge.

And, with the fact I was headed out of town for a bit, I opened the fridge last week to find these little gems of ingredients for my dinner:


"Mystery Box" ingredients:
  • Organic baby spinach
  • Kalamata olives, pitted
  • Sun dried tomatoes, julienned
  • Burrata cheese
  • Fresh chives
  • Lemon
  • Marcona almonds
  • (oh, and some vino...)
These ingredients were just screaming to be converted into a fantastic salad, and that is what I set out to make.

Vinaigrette:
  • 1 tbsp chives, finely chopped
  • 1-2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1-2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • sea salt and freshly ground pepper
Add all of the ingredients to a bowl, taste for seasoning, and whisk with a fork



I prefer to slice the olives in half...


The rest of the ingredients I used: 
  • 1 tbsp chives, finely chopped
  • 1/4 c sun dried tomatoes
  • 1/4 c marcona almonds
  • 1/4 c sliced kalamata olives
  • 1 giant wedge burrata cheese

Oh, burrata, how I love to use you, as I have so many times this Summer.


Oh, and don't forget the spinach! I just grabbed a huge handful. Toss spinach in bowl with vinaigrette and plate.






Next, top off with burrata cheese and drizzle what vinaigrette is left in the bowl on top of the cheese.


Last, but not least, top with olives, sun dried tomatoes, almonds, and chives.


This salad was literally thrown together in about five minutes and was absolutely fantastic. The lemon and chives were fantastic together with the spinach, and the creaminess of the burrata cheese helped to round out the salty olives and the sweet-yet-slightly-acidic sun dried tomatoes. The almonds were just a great crunchy addition. 

While I was on vacation I actually thought about this salad and how I couldn't wait to make it again when I got home. So, instead of making it a "mystery box", I went straight to the market and bought the same ingredients just to keep on hand (and another bottle of wine...). I am looking forward to keeping this dish around as a staple, and I wonder what will be lurking around the corners of my fridge in the next few weeks to create another fantastic meal!

2 comments:

  1. burrata! yum! i have only had in restaurants. where can i but it - TJ's? or must i make a trip to Whole Foods/Bristol Farms?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Al, you can get it at TJ's, but I don't like the one they have there. I would suggest Whole Foods or Bristol Farms for sure - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete